Saturday, January 4, 2014

Valentine Collage Tutorial

I have had creative block for several weeks. 
I just couldn't seem to get my creative mojo started.
Christmas projects were left unfinished,
 and my craft table was a mess.

So, today I packed all my Christmas craft gear up...
cleaned my desk {a little bit}, and sifted through my stash for 
Valentine papers and embellishments...


To get my crafty juices flowing again I decided to make 
Valentine themed collage papers...and no pressure to get it just right.


Supplies

8 1/2 x 11 Card stock {for the base}
Valentine themed or color papers 
Book or magazine papers
Sponge paint brush
Glue {or modge podge}


Step I {get your frustrations out}

Begin by choosing your old book or magazine pages, 
and the tear them in strips...
You can tear them wide or narrow, longways or across, you decide...
I like pages that are mostly print with no pictures on them.

Then do the same with your Valentine paper...
I chose a variety of papers {My Minds Eye}



Step II {get messy}

Using the card stock as a base
 {I was out of white or cream card stock, so I am using red}
Lay out the strips and arrange the patterned paper 
and book print to your liking.

Then paint glue on the card stock, lay down your paper or book print, 
then paint glue on top of the collage piece...
this will usually smooth out any wrinkles,
if not, just smooth the wrinkles out with your fingers...
{a few wrinkles are no problem, they lend character}

Repeat until the page is covered.
I left some of the red showing through on my collage...

Let the collages pages dry...then trim the edges 
{if you are messy like me}

The paper may curl as it drys, but that's OK...
after drying is complete you can place them under 
something heavy and they will flatten nicely.



Step III {have fun}

I am going to use my collage papers as the base for a Valentine banner.
I can get two or three banner bases per page, depending on the shape of the banner.


I cut hearts out of glitter card stock, and was going to edge the hearts
with cream crepe paper...but I didn't have enough crepe paper,
so I trimmed the heart with book pages folded as a ruffle.

I covered chipboard letters with book print...
and hot glued everything together!


Here is my finished Valentine "Love" Collage banner!


xoxo
PK


This project was shared on the following Linky parties
I Gotta Create

8 comments:

  1. love this!! So funny just did a collage of torn paper with the grandbabies this weekend! Did not turn out as beautiful as yours! If you get a chance, we would love you to link to our Snickerdoodle Sunday (http://2crochethooks.com/snickerdoodle-sunday-1513/)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is lovely! It looks really effective! Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great project, Paula! I love all the added details and embellishments. Thanks SO much for stopping by my blog and commenting. Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great project! I love all the added details and embellishments. Thanks SO much for stopping by my blog and commenting, Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Returning the visit from Crafty in Canada. Love the banner. I've never made one, but this looks so cute I just may try it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. C U T E ! ! I co-host a link party on Tuesdays! Would you have time to link this? -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is super cute! This would be fun to make with all the Valentine scrapbook paper I just stocked up on. We would love to see this at our Valentine party going on right now! I hope to see you there! :)

    Marti

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is cuteness overload!! Thanks so much for sharing it with everyone at Sewlicious Home Decor! You've inspired me to make a banner! I've pinned it to the Valentine board!

    Marti

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and feedback!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...